Your job here is to write a short (2-3 pages typed 1.5 space) assertive essay in which you explain how the author develops characterization to create meaning and support his/her purpose in one of the two short stories that you read, “The Red Carpet” or “Everyday Use.”
Here’s what you have to do:
- First, you have to really think about what the story is about. What idea does it communicate? What is the author’s purpose in writing this story?
- Then, think about how the characterization helps to create that meaning. How does the author use it? Find specific examples in the text that demonstrate this.
- Your thesis statement must be specific and argumentative. You must come up with an idea of HOW it is used and WHAT it is being used for. What is the effect of the particular approaches to characterization the author has chosen?
- Draft some ideas. It’s not a five paragraph essay per se, but it should have an introduction with thesis, supporting body paragraphs and a conclusion.
- Leave your ideas alone for a while. Then go back, revaluate them, and rewrite.
Try not to spend more than 2 hours on the actual writing. You can spend as much time as you want on the thinking!