For this Essay on James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, you need to combine two passage explications to create an original thesis.
- Your paper should be about your strand. This should be the title of the paper.
- One passage needs to be from chapter 1 and one passage needs to be from chapter 2.
- One passage needs to be something we have not covered in class.
- This should be 4-6 pages, typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman.
- Please post on the blog on Monday. Leave spaces between paragraphs for formatting.
Reminder to read the handout on passage explications and go through this process.
A passage explication is an essay that takes apart the pieces of a prose passage to demonstrate how it creates meaning – its main question can be reduced to the simple idea of “What does the passage mean? What is its purpose? How does it create that meaning and achieve its purpose? How does it fit in with the rest of the text (if available)?”
Due Monday, December 10th, between 7a.m. and 7p.m.
Period 5 Post here. Period 5 Post here. Period 5 Post here.