- 50 points--Writer demonstrates control of sentence structure, grammar and usage.
- 40 points--Errors do not interfere with communication. There are few errors relative to length.
- 30 points--Errors interfere with communication.
50 points--Insight and creativity, readability, and is your essay compelling? A note to remember your audience here and the purpose of your essay: All writers do this on some level--we consistently look at audience and purpose when we analyze writing. If you are using this to apply to college, keep in mind that the admissions officers are looking for intelligent and motivated students who will be successful at their school. Your essay should:
- Be personal (instead of general)
- Be concrete (instead of abstract--can you make your reader "see" your world?)
- Include anecdote (instead of summary--this is not a resume)
- Include a hook or lead
- Have sophisticated and / or subtle organization
- Show a sophisticated or subtle mastery of language
- AND AVOID CLICHE!
PLEASE PRINT THIS PAGE OUT AND ATTACH TO THE BACK OF YOUR ESSAY SO I CAN WRITE COMMENTS. WHEN YOU PRINT, MAKE SURE YOU ONLY PRINT THIS PAGE.