Assignment: Propose your vision for the play by ‘casting a character.’ (Just one.) Your development of this character needs to address the following:
- the physical looks of the character
- the character’s ‘costume’ (Consider colors, fit, style, time period, and texture.)
- how the character would deliver his or her lines?
You can also address (if needed):
- how the stage or set would look and be arranged
- the sound effects or music that you would use in the production
You can (and maybe even should) draw, create, orlink to any images to aid in your description.
But, it is answering the WHY that is at the heart of this assignment. Your ‘vision’ must be based on your knowledge and understanding of the play, so you must provide textual evidence from Hamlet to help describe why you made certain choices. Exemplary assignments will provide a strategic reading of the play, as well as develop a theory about one of the characters that could be refuted or backed up with evidence from the text.
You will be graded on the MHS Long Composition Rubric
You need to post your ‘vision’ in the comments stream by Monday, 3.16.09 @ noon. It must be 1,200 to 1,500 words long.