Here is the overview that everyone at MHS will be getting:
"Poetry Out Loud is the national poetry recitation contest; Malden High has sent students to the state finals for all but one year that the contest has existed. Last year, we committed to having every student in the school take part in the contest."
The basic process:
- Student select poems from the Poetry Out Loud collections (in print and online) to study, memorize and perform.
- Teachers support students’ selection, study, and performance.
- Each class holds a class contest by the end of December. We will have our contest on December 16th, 2010.
- Class winners will compete in the period contest in January.
- Period winners will compete in the school contest shortly after the period contest. Period winners will need to select a second poem
- The school winner will compete in the state semi-finals in early March.
Malden High School's Poetry Out Loud Analytic Rubric